Understanding Mould and Our Remediation Process
Mould has the potential to cause health effects and can spread through your property in as little as 48 hours. SERVPRO of Abbotsford understands mould and mould growth and has the training and expertise to remediate the mould in your home or business.
Have Mould Related Questions? Call Us Today – (604) 746-4666
Microscopic mould spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, so removing all mould from a home or business is impossible. Some restoration businesses advertise “mould removal” and even guarantee to remove all mould, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mould facts:
- Mould is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mould spores are microscopic and float along in the air, and they may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mould spores thrive on moisture. Mould spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
- Before mould remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mould may return.
- Let your nose lead the way. Mould often produces a strong, musty odour, and can lead you to possible mould problem areas.
- Even higher than normal indoor humidity can support mould growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
The Mould Remediation Process
Every mould damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mould remediation process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our “typical” process:
- Emergency Contact - (604) 746-4666
The mould cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel.
- Inspection and Mould Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mould. Mould feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mould and hidden water sources.
- Mould Containment
Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mould. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mould spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mould.
- Air Filtration
Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mould spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mould spores while the mould remediation is in process.
- Removing Mould and Mould-Infested Materials
The mould remediation process depends on the amount of mould growth and the types of surfaces on which the mould appears. We’ll use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mould colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mould-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, to remediate heavy mould growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mould. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odours and deodourisation using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mould damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have been removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal.